Haunting of the Wok Part One
I glanced at the clock for the thousandth time.
5:35
Yeesh. She was
supposed to be here an hour ago!
“You’re still here?” My mom asked as she walked into the
living room and glanced at me sitting in the recliner.
I snapped out of my thoughts and sighed. “Yup. I’m sure
she’ll be here soon though!”
I hope!
I leaned back and got comfy in the recliner and debated on
whether or not to text Laura. I didn’t want her to get in an accident
especially since it was rush hour at the moment. I was super excited to see
her. She lived in a different city and I only saw her once in a while. She is
practically a sister to me and I love her like one. She feels the same way
about me so we were always looking forward to seeing each other when we could.
Just as I was getting fidgety and restless, there was a
knock at the door. I nearly knocked the recliner sideways as I jumped up
quickly and moved to shove my feet into my black Converse sneakers. My mom went
to open the door since it seemed like I couldn’t get my shoes on. She shook
her head and mumbled something about how I should be old enough to know how to
put my shoes on properly, for petes sake.
“Hello Laura!” My mom greeted as she opened the door and
moved to let Laura into the house.
“Hi, sorry I’m late,” she said softly as she turned to me.
I finished tying my sneakers and stood up.
“Eh, I’m used to it,” I said with a shrug. I didn’t think
she liked it when I commented on her tardiness. After knowing her for years,
though, we both knew it was just who she was.
She let out a slightly frustrated sigh and turned back to
the door. I picked up my purse and followed her out.
“Bye girls! Have fun!” My mom waved as we walked down the
driveway.
I waved back then quickly turned to tackle Laura.
“Oof!” She started laughing and hugged me back.
“I’m just soooo happy to see you!”
“I know. It’s definitely been a while.”
We walked around to our respective sides of Laura’s car and
hopped in. I buckled my seatbelt and put my sunglasses on. The sun was slowly
beginning to lower towards the mountains but it was still pretty bright out
anyway.
“So, where are we going first?” I asked as she backed out of
the driveway.
“I have no idea. What do you want to do?”
This was a normal occurrence for us. We never really had a
plan.
“Hmm….” I put my finger on my chin in thought. “Well, I am hungry…”
“Naturally,” she said teasingly.
I huffed and crossed my arms across my chest, switching into
pouty mode. She giggled and nudged my arm with her elbow.
“Oh come on! You know I’m just teasing.”
I tried to stay in pouty mode as long as possible but I
found myself dropping it and smiling.
“Yeah, yeah. I know. Seriously though, I’m starving!”
“Well, where do you want to eat?”
“I don’t knooooow!” I whined. I wasn’t always the best at making
choices, especially when an empty stomach was involved.
I could tell she was getting a tad frustrated so I quickly
listed off the first place that came to mind and we headed there.
---
“Mmm…I knew Greek food was a good choice!” I said as I
patted my now full belly.
Laura made a noise in agreement and dug around in her purse
for her keys. I assumed she was too full to speak.
I knew we needed an idea for a place to go next so I started
to think of something we’ve done before and enjoyed. I looked up at the
darkening blue sky. Stars were starting to come out and the moon was full and
absolutely beautiful. I let out a sigh as I admired the sky for a few moments. I
could feel Laura’s eyes on me so I tore my gaze away from the sky and turned back
to her. An idea popped into my head and I smiled.
“Can we get boba for dessert? I really want the watermelon
flavor again! It’s so yummy!”
Laura paused as if I said something I shouldn’t have, though
it was only for a quick moment. I was going to ask if she was ok but she
finally fished out her keys and smiled at me.
“Sure. I’ll have to try it since you’re making it sound
really good.”
The ride to the boba place was silent. I glanced over at Laura
a couple of times, feeling a nervous vibe coming off of her. I frowned. What
was going on with her? I quickly turned to glance out the window once again
when I thought she was going to catch me looking at her. Out of the corner of my eye, I couldn’t help
but notice her fingers seemed to be gripping the steering wheel tightly.
Ok. There is
definitely something going on. I have to say something.
I opened my mouth to speak….
“I really have to pee! I hope these next few lights are
green!” Laura proclaimed out of the blue.
I slapped my forehead and shook my head.
Alright, she’s totally
fine. I just want to make sure though.
“Laura?”
“Hmm?” She answered as she turned into the parking lot of
the boba place and pulled into a parking spot. I watched as she put the car in
park and took her seat belt off. I cleared my throat.
“Is there something…”
Two hands belonging to a disheveled looking man banged
against her window, interrupting my thought. She shrieked and jumped across the
seat towards me as I stared at the man, completely stunned.
His mouth opened and revealed several missing teeth and
silver coated ones. His eyes traveled over us in a way that gave me the creeps.
I really hoped the doors were locked. I felt Laura’s hand grip my arm as the
guy pressed his face to the window and let out a hollow laugh.
“Oh yes,” he mumbled to himself then licked his lips. “She’s
going to enjoy playing with you. You girls are perfect.” He let out another
hollow laugh as he stared in at us for a few more seconds before turning and walking
away into a dark alley.
***End of part one***
Hope you enjoyed part one! Please be gentle with your comments! Lol
Stick around for part two COMING SOON! :)
I love cliff hangers! Well, I mean, I hate being left in the dark, but i can't resist a good cliff hanger! It leaves the reader with several questions and keeps them coming back for more! The pace is good-not too many details but just enough to make you feel like part of the events. Can't wait to read part 2!
ReplyDeleteI think you wrote it well! I can't wait to read part 2!
ReplyDelete