Aug 2, 2013
Is it Really That Weird to Give Your Friends Flowers?
I'm someone who likes to show their appreciation for people and I think flowers would be the perfect way to do it sometimes. Who doesn't like being surprised with flowers? When I receive flowers I feel special and appreciated so I figure other people will feel the same way. My friends appreciate it, don't get me wrong, but I've had some friends raise an eyebrow at me like I've done something creepy.
For instance, I had this one friend (we are not friends now) that seemed like she appreciated it but then made it known to everyone (except me) that it was weird and creepy. I don't really get it. I've had other times where it was perfectly fine and actually made a friend happy. I remember when a friend was helping me out during a tough situation and I wasn't sure how to show how much I appreciated it. I went to the grocery store with my mom that week and we happened to walk by some really pretty flowers. There were some beautiful pink roses (my favorite besides cherry blossoms of course!) that seemed to just pop out at me.
Now, I don't really get the meaning of different colored roses besides the fact that red ones are definitely for romance and that pink ones are seen as affection. I figured my friend knew me well enough to know I didn't mean anything romantic by buying her those pink roses so I took the chance. She gave me a key to her apartment not too long after I met her so I decided to use that in order to sneak in and drop off the roses while she was gone. I got a text later that night from her saying how much she appreciated the flowers and it really made her happy. Our friendship definitely blossomed from that. See what I did there? I said "blossomed" to follow the theme. I'm oh so clever huh? Ha. Anyways, as I was writing the last part I could see how it may be seen as creepy to some people but at the same time it was just meant to be a nice, friendly gesture. I can't help but wonder......Is it really weird to give your friends flowers?
P.S. Anyone can comment on any entry I post (whether you're a member of the blog site or not, or even just some random person viewing this) so click on the lovely pink "post a comment" at the end of the entry. I'd love to see some! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I like it Ophelia. No I give flowers when I can to friends when I can. They've always appreciated the gesture. They also know that I don't take them for granted. But you also have to know your friends well enough to know whether or not that they'd like the gesture. I have one I buy her gift certificates for movie theaters instead of flowers.
ReplyDelete