Dang. I blinked and it was suddenly November. Thanksgiving is already around the corner and that means turkey (and four day weekend including Black Friday shopping from the couch!).
But Thanksgiving isn't only about eating turkey and wearing your fat pants or whatever. It's about spending time with loved ones and thinking about what you're thankful for! So, in honor of that, I thought I would tell you guys what I am thankful for!
1. God
I'm thankful that there is something bigger than I out there who has plans for me, especially since I don't know what the heck I'm doing with my life! It's also nice to know that when I pray my prayers are being heard. There are just too many things in my life that there is no way I could've done on my own. There are still things I can't do on my own. It just a nice weight off my shoulders to have God planning my life. Now, I know some of you aren't religious and hope this blurb doesn't offend anyone, but I really hope you guys out there have something bigger than yourself to believe in because it's good to have that source of hope and peace when you need it most!
2. My family
Okay, so my immediate family isn't the biggest one out there but I'm thankful for each member of it. To have somewhere to go for the holidays, like Thanksgiving, and people to spend them with is just priceless. My family, although sometimes difficult (what family is truly picture perfect? Outside of television I mean), always has my back when I really need it. I know fights are temporary and love is unconditional. My mom and I have our blow ups but I know we are going to work it out eventually each time. My sister and I are close even though we always haven't been. We almost always do things together and share most of the same interests. It's almost like having a built in best friend *insert cheesy sister quotes here*. My aunt, grandma, cousin, and brother are always there when I need them the most. Although I see my sister and mom the most, I know my other family members are there and we always have a great time when we get together. I honestly am looking forward to the holidays with them, playing games, laughing, having delicious food....
3. My friends
Time to talk about my "second" family! I am somewhat selective when it comes to close friends or at least I can differentiate who is going to be a close trusted friend and who isn't. I love making friends regardless! As far as my second family I can count on one hand who is in it. They know who they are. One I've been friends with for almost a decade and think of as my un-biological big sister. Another I've been friends with for a decade and consider her a little sister. There are a few other friends that are close and know will be supportive if I need them that I haven't been friends with for nearly as long as the two I mentioned, but they are still important to me! I'm thankful I have them in my life even if we don't get to talk or see each other often. I know without a doubt they are still there for me as I am for them. I'm so thankful they understand when I fall off the face of the Earth that I will be there for them if they need me and don't take it personally at all. We are adults who are trying to navigate through life after all.
4. My cat
Listen, I know I'm going to sound like a crazy cat lady but hear me out. My little one, Ophelia (Yes, my pen name on here is the same), Ophie for short, has been with me since she was 9 weeks old. Originally she was supposed to be my sister's cat because my sister picked her out, but clearly that didn't happen. I can't even pinpoint the exact moment that Ophie and I became super close. It just feels like it has always been that way. She is there when I need her and she is basically my best friend. She is always there when I need her and can tell when I need comfort. When I come home 99% of the time she comes running to the door to greet me (the remaining 1% is when she is too comfy in her cupcake bed to bother). I can't imagine life without her and I always imagined us having our own apartment. Recently, however, I received news that she has kidney disease and her kidneys are failing. She started basic treatment but I hate having the dark cloud looming over of not knowing how long I have left with her. She is an older cat, about 13 years old, but it still feels too young to me. She is my baby no matter how old she is. I imagined her living until she was 20, being one of those long living cats, and now it just absolutely crushes me to know she's sick (even though she doesn't act like it. Bless her). Despite all that I am so thankful that she is still with me and I get to spend time with her.
5. Music
I am so thankful for music. Music is another best friend. It's there when you need it no matter what you're feeling. Happy? There's music for that. Angry? There's music for that. Sad? There's music for that. Usually when I'm mad/frustrated my go to is almost always Linkin Park (RIP Chester). When I'm sad I usually listen to GOT7 because they are my comfort group and cheer me up. I also listen to worship music when I'm feeling down and need that extra comfort (I actually have a playlist on Spotify titled ":/" for those super down days). When I'm happy I listen to GOT7 and other KPOP artists as well as other artists like Sabrina Carpenter, Kelly Clarkson, Taylor Swift...Okay, a lot of those artists I listed don't necessarily have all peppy songs but I listen to the ones that are haha. You know...This just got me thinking I need to make a ":)" playlist to complement my ":/" playlist....If any of you guys want to follow any of my playlists let me know! I only have my KPOP playlist public right now for some reason.
6. Coffee
Do I really need to say more?
7. Books
Is there any better escape? I love reading and am working on finding more time to do it. I've actually started dedicating time to disconnecting from my phone and the internet, lighting a candle, brewing some tea/coffee, grabbing a blanket, and just curling up with a book. It's such a nice little escape from the real world. I still read Young Adult fiction books even though I'm way past being a young adult (ahahaha. Damn) because I think some of them are just so much more well written than some adult books. I am starting to dip my toe more into adult fictions books though! I also like non-fiction books, the ones that are like self help and inspirational and all that. You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero is one of my favorite non-fiction self help inspiration books. I also want to read Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis and others. If you have any recommendations let me know! :)
8. My Job
I will be honest and say it's not my dream job, which I still don't know what my dream job actually is, but it's nice to have a solid job with an amazing supervisor and co-workers that value you and an awesome location that feels like a second home. I honestly thought I was going to be unemployed and struggling hardcore after graduating college so it's really, really, REALLY nice that I'm not. Very thankful for that. Having this permanent job could open more doors for me such as getting my own place and car (yes, I still don't have a car. I do have anxiety with driving after all from the handful of accidents I've been in. Don't judge me man lol). My goal was to have a job helping people in some way and I suppose being in HR is a way to do that!
9. Having a roof over my head
It's really sad to think about how the homeless population is growing. Where I live rent is getting SO expensive and buying a house seems impossible. My sister has been trying to buy her own house for a while now and it gets disheartening when prices keep going up. I am planning to live with her so of course the more expensive the house is the more expensive rent will be. I can't even imagine for people on their own or families trying to find a place to live. I'm extremely thankful that I still have somewhere to live, even though I would love to have my own place and not be that person still living with their mom. I realize that I'd rather be looked at as a lame weirdo of some sort because of that fact than to be out on my own and struggling to make rent and such. My goal this holiday season is to donate food or clothes or something to an organization to brighten someone else's day. If you are able, you should join me in this goal and get even more into the holiday season!
10. You, dear readers.
I have been the WORST about updating this blog and yet there are still people out there that are still interested. I started this blog when I was in community college (dear lord that was so long ago) because I wanted to have an outlet and was inspired to share my thoughts. A co-worker at the time, who is still a friend today, helped me set this blog up (thank you, Alex! :) ) so I would feel even worse about abandoning it completely since it'd be like throwing away her effort and time she put in to helping me. Plus, I kinda love this blog. I want to do more with this blog and am currently thinking about finding a proofreader/editor! I can't necessarily afford to pay anyone too much but if you think it'd be fun for you and you're interested let me know!
Anyhow,
I hope you enjoyed reading about some of the things I'm thankful for and maybe have inspired you to think about what you're thankful for! I hope you guys have an amazing Thanksgiving with loved ones and amazing food! :)
See ya again soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment