Mar 28, 2014

Mistakes


I'm talking about those annoying little (or big) things we make in life.

Ok, I have to admit that I've made a ton of mistakes. I mean, nobody's perfect (is it weird that I now have that song that Hannah Montana sings stuck in my head?).

                      
                      ♫Everybody makes mistakes, everybody has those days♫ 


"Nobody's Perfect", by Hannah Montana ladies and gentlemen.


In all seriousness though, it's true.

I don't know about you but when I make a mistake I sit there in an almost shock like state and think about what I've done, how it's going to impact my day or life depending on the size of the mistake. "Should I have sent that friend request on Facebook?", "Why did I say that?", "Why didn't I take that chance?", "What if I really hurt that person? What if I can't make it up to them?". Those are some of the questions that run through my head. Notice how they range from being small and almost silly to possibly damaging. I guess it depends on the person and how they deal with making mistakes. Some people brush them off and try again, seek a fresh start quicker than others and some may sit dwelling and letting the mistake get to them no matter how big (guilty). 

Here's the thing, I'm working on myself and one of the bigger projects is accepting myself after making a mistake. I focus on working to do damage control and look at the positive things that could come from it instead of dwelling on the mistake. I tell myself that I'm not perfect and I'm human just like everyone else. It's easier said than done really but how great would it be if everyone was able to let go of their mistakes and just be free? Not only would I want that for myself but for everyone, especially the people I love. Being a more accepting person makes me feel like I'm making a difference with them, giving them a safe place to begin to let go of being ashamed. I think if everyone had at least one person they can go to without being judged and feel loved unconditionally then we might just be that much closer to being free. Personally, I turn to God first because that's the one thing I know will comfort me right away. I also might go to people I trust and tell them just to get it completely off my shoulders so I can move on faster. 

I'm not saying mistakes are necessarily a bad thing all the time. If I haven't made certain mistakes in life I would've never learned the things I know now or even be the person I am today. Sometimes you have to make mistakes in order to see things you normally wouldn't. Basically, IT IS OK TO MAKE MISTAKES!!! Do NOT be afraid to make them or be ashamed if it happens. Mistakes are there to help you grow despite the fact that they can be really painful, stressful, and just flat out annoying. I have to say that I'm actually thankful or those mistakes I made and will continue to make

Here's a dare/challenge: be imperfect because honestly you have a better chance when you stop chasing perfection. It's more rewarding in the long run and it's the easier road. 





No comments:

Post a Comment